Sunday, July 18, 2010

The world turns.

Late yesterday, July 17, a family of Northern Flickers passed through the backyard, one or more parent with an indeterminate number of young birds trying out their impressive young bills, pecking inexpertly among the patio pavers.

The youngsters posed on the fence for a spell, hoping for a handout from mom or dad. This seemed awfully familiar. I searched my blog. Last year, on July 16, I wrote about a very similar event on July 15.

The longer you live in one place, and the more you pay attention, the more you'll learn what should be happening this week.

7 comments:

swamp4me said...

I find that very comforting somehow.

KaHolly said...

So true!

Crafty Gardener said...

Great captures. We usually get the flickers in the spring and fall as they pass through.

Crafty Gardener said...

After making my last comment, low and behold there was a family of flickers in our garden this morning.

ksdoolittle said...

It is such a joy each summer to anticipate backyard happenings from day to day. By reading your post, I am reminded of sitting in my special spot this morning to read, and watching a parent yellow warbler feeding its young embraced by the safety of the willows! I think I watched more than I read. ~karen

Hugh said...

Crafty, They're taking over!

Karen, sounds wonderful. I love summer.

Karen said...

Nice to see that some things are on schedule in this wacky weather year. I was worried about the critters, how they would be impacted by the strange winter and spring. Love flickers, they have so much personality and presence, as well as being extraordinarily beautiful birds. One just landed in our tree and started his "hey ladies" call not 10 minutes ago.