Friday, October 22, 2010

Intrepid mollusk.


I looked out the window at the year's first bushtit suet assault team, and didn't bother reaching for my camera, because I've taken those pictures before.    As the cage swung around, a dark blob on the far side caught my eye.  What the...?

 

A large, dark, Limax maximus, the Great Grey Garden Slug.  There it was, rasping away at the Berry Mix, five feet off the ground.
 
Okay, slug, I'm impressed.

I left him/her there.  The birds don't seem to mind.

3 comments:

KaHolly said...

Quite the surprise and yes, very impressive move on behalf of the slug. I've never seen one quite like it before!

Out walking the dog said...

The Darth Vader of slugs, yes?

Sally said...

Incredible! A tribute to his/her sensory system as well as persistence.

I'm still trying to imagine how earwigs get into the hummingbird feeders. Same thing, I guess--where there's a will, there's a way!