Wednesday, February 2, 2011

STREET SWEEPER COMING

Overnight the streets were sprinkled with prognosticating signs.  No, not prognosticating--PROMISING! Imagine our excitement. STREET SWEEPER COMING!

This is not something that happens every day.  I can't remember the last time we were promised a street sweep.  But between 10 and 2?  Couldn't they be more specific?  You could waste the better part of a day waiting at the window.

They split the difference.  At about noon came the heartening rumble.  I ran to grab my camera. I probably could have walked.  It was easily doing 3 mph.

Not one, but two steering wheels.

And the magical whirly street-sweeping bits.

It was an excellent sweep.   And on Groundhog Day too.

7 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

It'll be a while yet before the street sweepers come our way ... but such a relief when they do. The gravel they put on the roads these days wreaks havoc with the wind shields and paint jobs!

Sounds like you could use a little excitement in life ... if a street sweeper is a big event. LOL The dull winter weather is getting to you is it? But wow, the days are noticeably longer now ... I couldn't believe the difference 11 days brought.

Victoria said...

Love these lines: "I ran to grab my camera. I probably could have walked. It was easily doing 3 mph."

I snorted wine out my nose. Thanks for the chuckle!

Eskarina said...

Wonder if he'll get to the bike lanes on Railway?
Let me dream...

Garden Lily said...

Wow, I didn't know the city would go all out, to put up the signs. I guess that means you should park your car somewhere else.

I have to admit, I enjoy watching the garbage trucks when I have a day at home. In Burnaby, we have 3 of them now - automated ones for the garbage, and garden clippings, and for the recycling, one where the driver needs to jump out and flip the bin/bags all by himself. Such fun!

KaHolly said...

As usual, you crack me up!

Heidi Van Impe said...

If I could stop giggling, I would leave a comment.

KaHolly said...

So, I had to laugh this morning when I heard a loud truck out in front of my daughter's S. Texas home. Curiousity got the best of me and when I went to investigate, there was the street sweeper!! I appreciated the moment so much more, thanks to you!! ~karen