Monday, April 25, 2011

I need to borrow a camera trap.

I need to borrow a camera trap, aka trail cam, to find out who is rubbing along the bottom of the fence.  I left the grass untrimmed to provide additional evidence of something moving along the fence, and squeezing beneath it.  And see?  It is pressed down.  Candidates I can imagine are striped skunk, and Norway rat, although the rub line seems too high for rat, and I haven't seen a skunk in quite a while. There are no other rat signs (evidence of burrowing in the garden), no grub-digging holes in the lawn that would suggest skunk, and little to attract either creature, or anyone else into the yard.  Other mammals about are eastern grey squirrel, raccoon, and domestic cat, but those three tend to take the high road, the fence top.  So I watch the rub line become increasingly distinct as the question mark above my head grows. 

If you are unfamiliar with camera traps and the remarkable results they can achieve, view recent posts from the nature of a man, and check out  Camera Trap Codger and links therein.

7 comments:

Tim said...

Some webcam or camera software (my Canon, for instance) has the ability to start snapping only once there's motion. Probably more appropriate for a webcam since your camera battery will probably run dry while monitoring the action (unless you want to do the full camera-trip rigging).

biobabbler said...

Man, I totally want one too. Very intrigued by that belly rubbing path you've got. Very interested in what you use, if you get one.

I'd like to catch coyotes and mt. lions and bears on my property but have taken precisely ZERO steps toward making that happen. Thought I'd set it up attached to the chicken coop as they are a natural lure (mm, smells like chicken!).

PSYL said...

I think I saw them being sold in the flyers of Canadian Tire, etc. Might be worth getting. I would, if I have a backyard for critters to roam around in.

Kim and Victoria said...

Did you see the video of the "cat burglar"? It would be great to have one of those cameras.

Kim and Victoria said...

Cat burglar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qSLvkskXFA

Urban Wild said...

Raccoon maybe?

randomtruth said...

A cam trap would definitely solve that puzzle and many more. And if you get a decent one, you can use it for amazing close-ups of your backyard birds too.

You know where to find me if you have questions... :)

Thanks much for the shout out.