Sunday, April 10, 2011

I'm on a boat, Part 12: I am no longer on a boat.

The last day dawned, a sunrise over Baja California, not far south of the US border.

By mid-morning we were back where we had started.  The weather was cool and unsettled.  We had one last oversized meal, and sat around waiting for our call to disembark, watching as luggage was transferred from the ship to the grand grey tent.  Then, our call, and after going through US immigration and customs, we were set free in a parking lot, in pouring rain.  Eventually we caught a cab and were driven to a car rental place.   And then we dared...

 Look! One of these things!

...the freeway!   Headed inland, solid, dry land.  Hopefully to an interesting canyon park, some relatively fresh air, wildlife, plants....somewhere to escape throngs of humans, somewhere to unwind...

Uh...Anaheim?

Oh crap.

7 comments:

sarah said...

I feel your pain.

My sweetie and I traveled to Florida in January, and it was one parking lot after another until we finally made it the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge at Cape Canaveral, only to be delayed in Orlando an extra TWO days due to east coast snow storms.

Whereupon we found ourselves at a theme park.

(All of which, she notes self-indulgently, can be read about on my blog.)

I look forward to reading of your survival strategies.

swamp4me said...

Lordy, out of the frying pan and into the fire...

Cicero Sings said...

Oh dear, I do feel for you, being a no crowd person myself! Have to agree with "swamp4me".

Eskarina said...

Oh my! I can't wait to hear how you got out of this one...

Sally said...

At least it's not a boat! Oh wait, there are several boats... yikes! Good luck, Hugh-- we're rootin' for ya!

Dave said...

I'm starting to think that this whole trip was really your idea Hugh.

Hugh said...

Thank you all, except Dave, for your sympathy. Dave, certainly not! My response to learning of almost every item on the itinerary was ,"Oh [expletive deleted] no!"