Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Return to sanity.

The beach!  Let's go to the beach.  Wait a minute, there's something near the beach, better than the beach, a wetland!  It's the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve. Finally, sanity.  The real world.

Shorebird migration is underway.  Oh for a telescope on a day like this.  I didn't even have binoculars, so was unable to do much with this gang.

Some, however, are easy to identify...

Long-billed Curlew.

once they draw their bills from the mud.  Click to look closely.  The bill is open.

Snowy Egret, 2 Willet, and 5 unidentified sandpipers.

Patrolling the fence line, from the fence top, is a Great Egret.  He dropped down into the shrubs,

and came up with a lizard. My guess is that the victim is a Western Skink (Plestiodon skiltonianus).

It's a very lively reserve with a small but very informative interpretive centre.  I could easily spend three days walking around there...with a big smile on my face.

3 comments:

biobabbler said...

I will forever love shorebirds. They are what helped me become interested in birds, partly 'cause at least some of them are pretty big, not super fast, and out in the open, therefore easy for beginners. LOVE the effect of the wind on the snowy 'do. =)

Urban Wild said...

I wish I'd have known you were in SoCal--I'd have loved to meet you! I live about 45 min. north of Bolsa Chica.

Hugh said...

Linda, Thanks,it would have been nice to meet you. Next time: more naturalists, less Disney.