Saturday, May 7, 2011

Fregata facts.

Magnificent Frigatebirds (Fregata magnificens) are pelagic piscivores, which means they snatch fish from the surface of the ocean.  They do this on the wing, do not alight on the ocean, or plunge into it, pelican-style. The bill is long and hooked, well-suited for fish-snatching.  Frigatebirds also occasionally harass other fish-laden birds until they drop their catch, and for thus are also known as "Man o' War Birds" or  "Pirate Birds."  Arr.

In Puerto Vallarta,  they perch and preen (and poop) on statues.

They are among the lankiest of birds, the spider monkeys of the sky, with pointed wings and fork-ed tails.  They are fantastic fliers, able to stay aloft for extended periods; one source I read said "day and night."  To which I reply, "How can you see them in the dark?"

They are not particularly easy to photograph in flight.

Males in breeding condition have an inflatable throat sac, which is scarlet.  They are not the least bit subtle. Adult females are white-throated

Adult female, and palm trees.

Were I to create a statue, I would want it graced by a Magnificent Frigatebird.

2 comments:

Alice Joyce said...

Hugh
Thanks so much for stopping by to I.D. the desert iguana! I've linked the I.D. to your site!
Cheers,
Alice
aka Bay Area Tendrils

Hugh said...

Thanks, Alice.