Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Yellow tops (and bottoms).

I can't remember ever seeing so many Yellow-rumped Warblers over a two-day span.  Yesterday and today have provided impressive numbers.  They're everywhere.

 Yellow cap.

The neighbourhood soundtrack is punctuated by their chip-notes, as in ones and twos they dart from tree to tree, street to street.

And how many people notice?

The usual.

Today I saw one attack a preening Robin.  The Robin was completely befuddled.  I wasn't aware that warblers have it in for Robins. 

The aforementioned rump.

There were several Golden-crowned Sparrows in the yard this morning too.  Oh I love spring migration.  Every morning is Christmas.

Update: There are yellow-rumps a-plenty in Illinois, too.  Note that those birds have white throats, thus are "Myrtles."  Most or all of the birds I saw here today were the yellow-throated "Audubon's" form.  These two forms were formerly considered separate species, but some years ago were lumped.  It is possible that some time soon they may be split again.  Taxonomy is more vibrant than you might expect.

5 comments:

Eskarina said...

One of the things I really love about your blog is that you spot many of the same things I do AND you can identify them! I spotted a few of these near the scrubby ditch to the east of the Oval. I had no idea what they were, but took note to try and find them in my bird book. Now I know! Thanks!

Hugh said...

Well thanks! And good on you for seeing them and trying to ID them, which is not easy.

Mike B. said...

I saw a bunch of them this past weekend in a nearby park. Strange...

pattib said...

Hugh--love your birds. I think I might be turning into a birder since we've moved to the beautiful woods in northeastern Michigan...

Hugh said...

Mike, This year they're everywhere, even more than usual!

Patti, thanks, and thanks for the button idea. Be careful about the birding. It's a deep rabbit hole to fall down.