Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Kodachrome.

 Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah! 

I'm working on a long piece about hunting for herps in Mexico, based on an ill-planned and chaotic trip I took as a student. (At that age, is there any other kind?)  To refresh my memory, I'm squinting at hundreds of slides, wishing I still had a carousel projector, or even the crude, flimsy light box I used back then to sort images.  My old, now defunct, scanner made it possible to produce images from slides--such as that above--but they didn't do justice to the wonders of Kodachrome.  My present scanner doesn't do slides. It's possible to take slides to a local photo place and have them turned into crisp digital images, which I have done a few times, but it's pricey.

So I hold slides to the sunlit blinds, and I squint.  For details, I look backwards through binoculars.  The magic pops out and pokes me in the eye.

5 comments:

Kim said...

I use slides a lot at work--I NEVER would have thought to use binoculars backwards to look at them! I found a regular document/picture scanner with a slide attachment. It's from HP and I think I found it at Best Buy or Office Depot, somewhere like that. Good luck!

pattib said...

GREAT last line! "...pokes me in the eye." Yahoo!

Susannah (Wanderin' Weeta) said...

I prop slides on an old lampshade on the brightest lamp in the house. I have even taken photos of them with my camera in that position, when I didn't have a scanner.

The colours never come out quite right; the white balance slides towards pink or brown with age, and the lampshade is a pale cream. A white one would work better. Also the new whiter-than-white light bulbs would help.

Kim and Victoria said...

Funny. Hubbie and I worked in a custom photo lab for 16-20 years. Oh the days of real negatives and slides.....

Tim said...

I wonder how well overhead projectors would work. Schools might be trying to get rid of them now.