Sunday, June 26, 2011

Northwestern Crow call.

Crow on a warm cedar roof.

Today I was walking with my daughter, and a crow called from an overhead branch.  It wasn't the usual "Caw-caw," or the odd, bell-like clucking they sometimes produce.  It was a third call type (no doubt there are more), a mournful, two-syllable "ooo-WAAA."  We stopped and looked up at the bird.  It was alone, an adult I think.  Any time I have heard this call, the caller has been a solitary bird.  We waited for it to call again.  It did, leaning forward and raising its wrist-joints, giving the effect of a worried shrug. We laughed, because the call sounds funny.   I didn't have a camera, and in place of a picture of the caller have included the above image, a different crow, recumbent on a roof.  What it was doing or why I don't know.  For animals that are ubiquitous, crows remain mysterious.

4 comments:

Tim said...

In Cantonese, the name for crow is "woo-ahh". I think the bird was trying to teach you Cantonese.

Hugh said...

Tim, Wow, those birds are smart. And generous with their time too.

gardenmad said...

Hi! I'm a fellow Richmond, BC, blogger. I love your blog and the way it's set up. I also liked the plasma ball. I bought one for one of my son's....it attaches to his computer. Cool, huh?

Hugh said...

Hi gardenmad, Thanks. I must get one of those things.