Saturday, July 16, 2011

Life imitates municipal infrastructure.

Yesterday my back tire went ka-pop as I rode along the dyke.  Sigh.  Third flat in a month, time for a new tire and inner tube. I dismounted and commenced the 3-mile walk to the nearest bike store.  There used to be a lot more bike stores in this city.  One by one they've gone out of business.  As with bricks-and-mortar bookstores, you can only be certain a particular bike store is still in business if you are standing in it, handing someone behind the counter some money.

I walked along the Middle Arm of the river, stopping now and then to take a picture.  I've taken so many pictures of Great Blue Herons I wonder why I still occasionally do.  Because they're there is the only reason I can come up with.  I needed to lean my bike against something to take the picture.
 
I leaned it against a Great Blue Heron.

Or two.

(Utility box at south end of No. 2 Rd. Bridge).

3 comments:

Tim said...

I did a double-take on the crease in the second photo until I read the text.

JoLynne Lyon said...

I'm with Tim--but I like the real heron shot, too. A good bird is worth repeating.

Kim said...

I'm jealous that you get to see so many herons! I live in the desert but do get to see them occasionally along the Colorado River or near the reservoir. Thanks for sharing your photos!