Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Winter, with birds.

I went for a wander in cental Richmond to get a snow-fix (as much as is possible when not even an inch fell).  Near the corner of Gilbert and Lucas Roads, I saw a flock of 15-20 Common Redpolls picking at catkins in a birch tree.  What joy.  It's been at least five years since I've seen one of these little beauties in this city. By the time I had fished Mr. Hesitation from my pack, and Mr. H. found the tree, two crows had arrived to scare the redpolls away.  No joy.

But even Mr. H. couldn't mess up with a flock of robins (above), who were apparently frozen to their twigs.

Farther along, someone had a Weather Lion (two, actually), which corroborated the recent data from Weather Frog.

1 comment:

Kim said...

We've had pretty much no snow in Northern Nevada either. Sad...everything's just kind of yellow right now. White or green would be a nice change!