Saturday, January 12, 2013

Anna's in Wintery Vancouver.

I was at Queen Elizabeth Park today.  There were a lot of birders there, looking for recently-reported Pine Grosbeaks.  I'm all for seeing Pine Grosbeaks, have only seen them a few times, but I wasn't there for them.  I was there to walk around in the chilly winter sunshine (1 degree C) whilst other members of the family attended a farmer's market.

I didn't see the Pine Grosbeaks, and judging from the long birder faces I encountered, neither did anyone else.  I did see a lot of American Robins, a few Pacific Wrens, a foraging flock of Golden-crowned Kinglets, and a smattering of Black-capped Chickadees.

And then at the end, as I was heading back to the car, I heard the "Scritchy scritchy scritchy" song of an Anna's Hummingbird.  There he was, perched high on a twig, the way they are wont to do.  So I took his picture.  I kept hoping for the grand head-on magenta flare, but that was not to be.

And then he flew high in the sky and dove at me, twice.  Pink!  Pink! (That's what it sounds like.)

That's a lot of effort for a tiny bird in cold weather.  Their tininess is matched only by their feistiness.



1 comment:

Kim and Victoria said...

My friend just moved back to Corvallis Oregon, she says they have a ton of Anna's there right now. Those little birds must be very tough.