Thursday, August 29, 2013

Still here.

 Look who's skulking in the maple, in the rain.

Young Anna's Hummingbird, one of several that have been around all summer.  The Rufous Hummingbirds seem to have left, but the non-migrant Anna's(s) linger.  Will they overwinter here, in our yard?  I'll keep the feeders full for as long as they want.

They had a rough week last week; the roof was being reshingled and there was stuff flying all over the place--cedar shingles, sheets of tar paper, pitch forks. (They use pitch forks to tear off the old shingles, and at the end of the process hurl them from  the roof like tridents.)  (Heads up!)  I had to take the feeders down.

Now the roof is done, and it is raining.  I.e., back to normal.

5 comments:

Susannah Anderson said...

At least it didn't rain while your roof was missing!

But it's nice to see it back. (The rain, I mean.)

Hugh said...

Hi Susannah,
Yeah, I was watching the weather pretty carefully. It's nice having the rain back, at least for a short spell (and a fully functional roof).

biobabbler said...

Lovely. I'm STILL finding nails w/in an 8 foot perimeter of my house. Lovely little bird. =) Kind of you to tend bar.

Murr Brewster said...

Our Anna's(es) stay all winter. I'm not much of a cook, so I take their endorsement of my nectar very personally.

Hugh said...

bb, Our roof guys used a "magnet rake" to clean up the nails. So far no nasty surprises.

Murr, I know what you mean. When one lands, takes only a sip, and then emits an indignant "Chip!" and flies away I am overwhelmed with doubt.