Saturday, January 25, 2014

Cattle Egrets, functional and ornamental.

If you work for the Honolulu Parks Department, you will always have friends.  While you are way up a palm, keeping things tidy, down below...

friends. 


 Cattle Egrets, checking on the fronds that have landed in the back of your truck.

Warning away tourists, who have no innate fear of falling fronds.


Ocassionally becoming distracted, trying to make sense of  tennis. They were introduced in 1959 to control pests. A fascination with tennis was not expected.


I wonder when the practice of introducing species from one part of the world to another as means of pest control or prettification reached its peak.  Reading through the Hawaiian Audubon bird guide, it seems that during the fifties this was all the rage, although I know it started long before that. 


Back to work.


2 comments:

swamp4me said...

I don't think I would care to be way up there near the top of that very talk palm...

Hugh said...

Swampy, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to do that either. The reason I took the picture was because, "OMG, there's a guy up there!"