Friday, August 22, 2014

Hummingbirds in August.

The Rufous Hummingbirds have gone, set off for sunny Latin America.  The stalwart Anna's Hummingbirds remain, happily monopolizing the feeders.  We see a mixture of adults and youngsters, I don't know how many of each.  The youngsters are fun.  When I'm outside reading they hover close to the lenses of my sunglasses trying to figure out what I am.  It's hard not to laugh.


This young one has mastered the long, scritchy song.  See his puffed throat and slightly opened bill?  They often sing when I'm too close to the feeder for their comfort and they feel they have to do something, so land nearby and sing a song of anger or frustration or who knows what.


Adults do that too. I didn't realize they look kind of shabby this time of year, at least their belly feathers.  The gorgets remain pretty decent.


Winding up to take flight.  Reminds me of Totoro.


2 comments:

JoLynne Lyon said...

Those photos are fantastic. Hummingbird watching is much, much better than TV.

Hugh said...

Thanks JoLynne, Hummies are relatively cooperative I find. And yes on the TV!